Thursday, March 8, 2007

Marriage Meme

Jean at Catholic Fire tagged me, I can't get over how similar some of our answers are!

1. Where/How did you meet? We met through our activity in the Catholic charismatic renewal. We were branching off into bilingual conferences, and Francisco handled the radios we used to translate the speakers. We saw each other regularly through these conferences.
2. How long have you known each other? We began dating 16 years ago this Superbowl Sunday, was when things turned romantic, but, we were friends about a year before that.
3.How long after you met did you start dating?Francisco was interested in me, but I didn't know it yet, he began a 'background check' asking various trusted friends in the Spanish community, with which I was involved as an English teacher, CCD teacher what they thought about me. Apparently, I passed muster!
4. How long did you date before you were engaged?About 6 months
5. How long was your engagement? 8 months. We went to the same charismatic conference with separate friends to discern our call to marriage, if the answer was no, we would break up. Someone had read from the podium a prophecy that went, "those who are here at this conference discerning marriage, my answer to you is 'yes'!". We were flabbergasted, who expected an answer from the Lord so directly?!
We were in New York's Little Italy when Francisco bought my ring, and put it on my finger in a little Italian cafe. All conversation came to a halt, and we suddenly became, to his horror, the center of attention! I on the other hand, was thrilled; it was a scene right out of "Moonstruck"!
6. How long have you been married? 15 years.
7. What is your anniversary? 2/22/92
8. How many people came to your wedding reception? around 150
9. What kind of cake did you serve? It had lovely fresh flowers cascading down the three layers, but I don't remember the flavors of the cake.
10. Where was your wedding? At St Hugh of Lincoln, Huntington Station, NY. It wasn't my home parish, but my adopted parish, as I had learned Spanish attending Mass there, and had so many good friends in the parish, it really felt like home. In order to have that big crowd at the reception, we went to the nicest Knights of Columbus Hall on the Island, the Memorare Club.
11. What did you serve for your meal?Chicken and rice, Spanish style, for which I provided the chef with the recipe, for my husband's side, and a typical American buffet for my side, which are a mix of Italians, Irish, and Polish descendants. The dancing was some of the heartiest I've ever seen at a wedding, everyone truly enjoyed themselves. I have a great, big, fun extended family!
12. How many people were in your wedding party? Besides the best man, and matron of honor, there were 4 bridesmaids, and 4 ushers, two of which were my brothers.
13. Are you still friends with them all? No, and it's a shame, we've had divorce, death, and distance separate most of us.
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? No, but he sure had cold, clammy hands!
15. Most special moment of your wedding day? Waking up before dawn our first day as a married couple, and watching the sunrise over the hill from the hotel pool.
16. Any funny moments? I had to stop the limo leaving the church to go to the ladies room, which my good friend the videographer caught on tape!
17. Any big disasters? Nearly, my brother-in-law got lost after the church, and almost missed the reception.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Disney World, and then we visited my Florida cousins who couldn't make the wedding, and since my parents were down too, so my dh spent part of his honeymoon with his mother-in-law. What a guy!
19. How long were you gone? 1 week.
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? Fewer guests, we hardly got to talk to all of them!
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?: I sleep on the left side (when looking from the foot of the bed)
22. What size is your bed? King, which I purchased from Jaimison, the company who makes the Marriott hotel chain beds. It's a cheaper version of the Tempurpedic, and just as comfy.
23.Greatest strength as a couple? Our sense of humor, our faith, and our love for our three girls.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Right now, it's finding time for one another as we are both so involved in our work and homeschooling.
25. Who literally pays the bills? He does. I am a poor, starving Catholic writer, who dares not quit her part time job teaching English at the local Community College till writing begins to pay off. . . I'm still waiting.
26. What is your song? "La Pareja Del Alma" translation:'The Couple of the Soul' by Marisela. Francisco played it for me every morning when we were newlyweds.
27. What did you dance your first dance to? "I See Jesus in You" by Sharilee
28. Describe your wedding dress: I designed my gown from a pattern, and had it custom-made by a seamstress. Francisco and I went to shop for materials on the street in New York City's garment district which sells nothing but wedding gown materials. The Jewish merchants said it was bad luck for him to buy the material, but he replied that it is the Salvadorean custom.
The material was an ivory damask imprinted with roses for Our Lady. It had a fitted bodice, sweetheart neckline, leg of mutton sleeves, to the elbow, and lace panels coming to a point at each hand. The full skirt had a small train, and I put on rose appliques on the bodice. I also sewed on tiny pearls and translucent sequins on the alencon lace sleeves(Therese of Lisieux's mother made this kind of lace) sleeves and lace trim at the hem, since the seamstress' arthritis prohibited it.
I was working 12 hour days to help my folks pay for the wedding, so I found it very calming to work on the gown at night, and meditate on our upcoming wedding.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?In my bouquet, pink and white roses with dendrobium orchids cascading down. All the dendrobium fell out just as it was time to begin the procession, but my trusty bridesmaids dove down, and rescued my bouquet, and it was perfect!
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? Yes, with our wedding date, and our wedding scripture: Ruth 1:16
"Wherever you go, I shall go,
Wherever you live, so shall I live,
Your people will be my people too,
and your God will be my God too."

If you want to re-live the joys of your wedding day, why just tag yourself, and let me know!

3 comments:

Jean Heimann said...

Leticia,

Wow! I loved reading this. What a great wedding day and honeymoon! It is funny how many similarities there are in our answers.
You were so descriptive in the details of your wedding, I almost felt as if I were there. Thanks for sharing.

God bless you,
Jean

P.S. I like that scripture passage from Ruth - it's one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

This is a great Meme. I tagged myself. It sounds like you have been very blessed from the beginning.

Here is my link:

http://thetuckerbunch.typepad.com/just_another_day_in_parad/2007/03/marriage_meme.html

Leticia said...

I can't wait to read yours, Ruth!It was a good Lenten practice, this meme, to remember just how blessed our marriage is.