Friday, December 3, 2010

A Day of Recognition for parents of Special Needs Children

from our friend in Congress, Rep Cathy McMorris Rogers:


3 December 2010 

Dear Friend,

I wanted to take a minute to tell you about a very important piece of legislation that I co-sponsored, which passed the House yesterday. This resolution, H.Res.1576, would establish a National Day of Recognition for Parents of Special Needs Children. I joined with 41 of my colleagues in a bipartisan way to highlight the importance of recognizing parents of special needs children. I am pleased that this legislation passed with such overwhelming support, and I am excited to continue fighting for this cause as your Member of Congress.

As a mother of a special needs child, I can say without a doubt that my son Cole has given me an entirely new perspective on life and has reshaped my purpose for being in Congress. More than that, though, he's given me the opportunity to meet and work with so many otherparents of special needs children – parents who have selflessly dedicated their lives for the betterment of their children. It is these parents who have opened their hearts and shared their lives in order to pave the road to a better and brighter future for Cole and other children.

Everywhere Brian and I go, we meet families who share with us their stories about a loved one with special needs. They all speak passionately about the positive impact that their children have on their lives. These are the parents who have helped Brian and me see the positive impact that Cole will continue to have on our lives and the world.

It is with tremendous pride that I recognize the parents who dedicate their lives to improving those of their children. While the passage of this legislation is extraordinarily exciting, it is just the beginning. I will continue to work tirelessly as a leader in the Congressional Down Syndrome Caucus and as your Representative in Congress. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments: