Friday, May 27, 2011

Our Victory Garden

My volunteer time at the computer means I don't usually work  for pay, so I am counting on a good harvest to help provide fresh produce for my family. I am learning to preserve food;  last year, we had a bountiful harvest and canned enough tomatoes to last till Thanksgiving. It is very nutritious, tasty and tomatoes do NOT grow Botulism, so you can't kill anybody, so they are a great place to start canning. We have 24 pullets who will begin laying this summer, and we may be in the egg business soon.
Here is a great post on how to preserve food to feed your family in times of crisis.
We are planning to can more tomatoes, beans, zucchini, peas, squash, cucumbers, corn, lettuce,green peppers,  Swiss Chard, dill, mint, and basil. We will  freeze our green beans, can our tomatoes as we did last year,  and learn some more canning and freezing techniques.
We call it our Victory Garden, in hopes that my volunteer work can help conquer the Culture of Death which has made great strides recently in this nation.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: