Monday, July 9, 2007

Five Things I Love About Jesus

Jeanmarie at Catholic Fire tagged me for this meme, but she did such a beautiful job, she's a tough act to follow. Here are five of my favorite qualities about Jesus.

1. Patience, Jesus has infinite patience for the sinner, like myself, who says she doesn't have time to pray the daily readings, to go to Mass an extra time a week, to visit the Blessed Sacrament in adoration. He continually waits there for me, loving me, as I resist His love, forgiving me when I confess my sins, and promise to sin no more. He knows I will fail, and, each time, welcomes me back into His loving embrace. Jesus is patient.
2.Purity. Jesus is pure. He knows all the evil done in the world, and all my unjust motives, the criticism I level at everyone and everything, yet He remains pure. Nothing of the depravity of this sin-sick culture effects His purity, lowering it to our level of baseness. I continually struggle to keep the filthiness of the culture out of my soul, but not Jesus. Jesus is pure.
3. Generosity. Jesus is infinitely generous. Blessed Mother Teresa said, "if you look at the crucifix, you can see how Jesus loved you, if you look at the Eucharist you can see how Jesus loves you now." Not content with giving His very lifeblood for us on the cross, Jesus continually gives us His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity every moment in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar.
There is no greater act of generosity than this. I strive to give Him my thoughts, my time, my worldly goods, my acts of sacrifice, my daily chores, my future, my children's future, my body, my dreams, and myself in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. But I always hold something back for myself. Jesus holds back nothing. Jesus is generous.
4. Mighty. Jesus is omnipotent. "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13. This often helps me when the world gets to me, and I feel unequal to the simple tasks He has entrusted to me. When I see the corruption in the world, and how He is ignored, and I feel that the Great Commission to bring the Gospel to all men is impossible, I remember how 12 men started the Church 2000 years ago, with the help of the Holy Spirit. I remember how the limitless ocean and the towering mountains are the work of His hands. I imagine His return from Heaven in clouds of glory for the Final Judgement. Jesus is Mighty.
5. Wise. Jesus is wise. "The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the coastline of wonder" is one of my favorite quotations. The more we know, the more there is to know. This can get frustrating, until I remember what the Benedictines at St. Anselm College used to tell us. Our quest for knowledge is "Faith seeking understanding". We can know Jesus by faith, what we could never in a million years know through knowledge. Faith is the shortcut to wisdom. It brings us directly to Jesus, who is the source of all knowledge. Jesus is wise.
I enjoyed the reflection which this meme requires. Go ahead, tag yourself!

2 comments:

newhousenewjob said...

Beautiful answers, Leticia. By the way, I tagged you too last Friday - don't worry, I won't make you give another five reasons! :¬)

Anonymous said...

How very well said. God Bless you.