Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Grandma teaches the girls how to sew

I felt SO guilty when Isabella received a lovely little sewing machine a couple of years ago as a birthday gift from my Aunt Teresa. It's been collecting dust, because, I've discovered that sewing talent skips a generation in my family.
Mom sewed Kindergarten tutus, Easter dresses complete with matching coats, and ultimately my Gunnie Sax Prom Dress. She sewed a lovely traditional green Irish Colleen Dress, complete with white lace pinafore, which all three of my girls wore on their first St. Patrick's Day.
I used to help Mom cut out the patterns with electric scissors and I understand how to put them together, however I have no talent or patience for sewing. I sewed shorts, and one side was inside out. I sewed a flannel nightgown which self-destructed in a month. Enough, I said, I'm a shopper, not a seamstress.


So, last week, Mom took on the job of teaching the girls how to use a sewing machine, and here are the results; pink flowered curtains for their play house. Lovely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heheh, it's a good thing to know your limits. ;-) I can't sew a thing either and stand in awe of those who can.

Those curtains are very sweet - and they have a great memory connected with them of sewing with grandma.

My girls' curtains are from IKEA. If you don't know about IKEA curtains, you have to "finish" them at the bottom - cut for length and iron on this strip of something that keeps the edge clean. I was, to put it mildly, super-challenged by even that small bit of working with fabric.