Monday, December 1, 2008

Reasons to give thanks at my house

My parents and my brother's family made the four hour trip over the river and through the woods to my new home in Connecticut for Thanksgiving, and we had a wonderful time by the fireplace and exploring my new neighborhood.
We discovered this adorable family of burros down the road from my house, which fascinated Christina so much, when we had to leave, she told them she was going home. We'll have to revisit them, they'll make our telling of the Christmas Story come alive.


We ate delicious strawberry, coconut custard and apple pies fresh from local bakers and visited Josie's General Store in Canterbury. After dinner, we played the piano and the kids had fun without TV, just being silly and playing with the three Labs. It was an old fashioned Thanksgiving family meal.




My brother took it upon himself to organize a clean up crew for my hopelessly unpacked garage, and now we can actually get the van in the garage! No more scraping ice off in the driveway or waiting for visibility to be able to leave for school! Not to mention how scary it was to go and get things we needed from the van at night!
God bless everyone who pitched in and for my husband and Dad who fixed my collapsed kitchen cabinet shelves. Little by little we are feeling comfortable in our new home. Now, if we could only get rid of ALL the mice. . .
good thing we have our faithful cat Fritzi on patrol.
During this beautiful weekend, we enjoyed the restful sights and sounds of the farms, stream and woods around my new neighborhood, including this winter sunset. We met some of my new neighbors, our parish priest, and even a Bobcat who loped accross the road with awesome cat like agility and speed. Nature is ever present in the last green valley on the East Coast.
So, between family time, moving into my home a bit more, watching the kids play, enought time to attend daily Mass, family and nature, it was a perfect weekend.
And I am thankful to God for it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely beautiful post. I was renewed in Thanksgiving spirit just reading it. Thank you so much, Leticia. Barbara