Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Homemaking Meme

HT Barb, SFO Fridge and tagged from A Catholic Mom in Hawaii
1.ApronsYes or No? If Yes, what does your favorite look like? Sometimes, when I am doing some serious baking, I put on an apron I bought for my trousseau when I was 14 and dreaming about raising a family someday. It's in need of repair, Isabella wore it to look like an impoverished St. Germaine last All Hallow's Eve. I'm starting to get inspired to get a new one for National Wear an Apron Day!
2.Baking – My favorite things to bake are: breads, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, birthday cakes, and Irish Soda Bread....nothing like a hot slice of soda bread with melting butter and a cup of tea.
3. ClotheslineYes or No?No, and I miss it, but the dogs steal the clothes from the line! I enjoyed the outdoor experience of hanging the clothes out,especially in the spring, and the way they SMELL!
4. Donuts - have you ever made them? No. I'm afraid of deep frying!
5. One homemaking thing you do every day: I always empty the dishwasher, a job I hate!
6.Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze? No, wish I did.
7. Garbage Disposal Yes or No? No.Too scared of little hands!
8. HandbookWhat is your favorite homemaking resource? I pick up tips from my favorite bloggers.
9. Ironing – Love it or hate it? Or hate it but love the results? Yes to the latter.
10 Junk Drawer:Yes or No? Where is it? My whole desk is one big junk drawer.
11. Kitchen – Color and decorating scheme: I have designed my new kitchen after a troupe of little black labrador puppies buzz-sawed through my sagging, peeling, waterlogged 40 year old cabinets(nice doggies!)
It's got natural cherry cabinets with a peach colored tile floor, and a colonial blue walls, with a big print of the shoreline of Lake Como on the wall, that makes it Tuscan.
12. Love – What is your favorite part of homemaking? Teaching the girls to be good housekeepers, and cooking together for holidays.
13.Mop – Yes or No? Yes, and I do enjoy it!
14.Nylons – Wash by hand or in the washing machine?In the washer, in a lingerie bag, but I dry them on the line. Alright, sometimes I wash them in the bathtub with me a la Crocodile Dundee!
15. Oven – Do you use the window or open the oven to check?I open it up.
16.PizzaWhat do you put on yours?I like very thin sliced peppers and onions, extra cheese, and sliced canned mushrooms if I have any.
17.QuietWhat do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?I either read or check my favorite blogs.
18. Recipe card box – Yes or No? What does it look like? It's a pretty cream colored card box with a fruit pattern. I have recipes dating back to my Nana who died in 1971 (Italian sauce, etc.)
19. Style of house – What style is your house? A 1960's cedar-shingled, expanded Cape Cod house, with no front dormers, but a large back dormer and attached garage. It has stained moldings and wood floors upstairs and down, I've added a fireplace and opened the walls in the back of the house to help the flow a bit from kitchen to dining room to homeschool classroom.
20. Tablecloths and napkins – Yes or No?Paper napkins, cloth placemats.
21.Under the kitchen sink – Organized or toxic wasteland?Organized once it gets out of control, but usually it tends toward toxicity!
22. Vacuum – How many times per week? I'm blessed with two daughters who fight to be able to vacuum.
23. Wash – How many loads of laundry do you do per week?At least 6 times a week
24. Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off? When it's crunch time, like an upcoming event or holiday.
25.YardYes or No? Who does what? My dh does the grass and the vegetable garden, I'm in charge of the Mary garden, and the flower beds, the poor girls get dog poop patrol!
26. Zzz’sWhat is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed? Set the coffeemaker up in case I'm too lazy to get up with my dh the next morning.
Want to play? Let me know in the comment box.

5 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Silly girl, I tagged you for this one. Glad you posted your answers though.

Leticia said...

Esther, I am always flattered when you tag me as you have friends who are far better known than I, and I will always 'play', however
I had tagged myself and written this post on 1/31 and held it till after Candlemas, when felt that I needed to lighten up a bit.
Sorry!

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing all of these comments about "girls" and "daughters" doing the chores, helping the mother, etc. What are the "boys" doing all this time? I see nothing here indicating THEY are being asked to do ANYTHING. This IS the 21st century, ladies. My parents did my brothers - or me - no favors by raising them to believe they were here to live the Life of Riley. *I* got cast as the chief "diaper changer, dish washer, vaccuumer, babysitter" etc. because I was unfortunate enough to be the ONLY girl and the OLDEST. The boys, on the other hand, did nothing. Today, I'm about to turn 50 and my brothers are STILL lazy to the core. Our mother is disabled from a stroke and not a one of them lends a hand to help me take care of her. It's "Women's Work" as far as THEY are concerned. Let her die, though, and they'll be right there, at the reading of the will, yelling "What's in it for ME?"

C'mon, Ladies. Don't raise YOUR sons to be spoiled, ungrateful slobs - nor do you want to raise your daughters up to be resentful of them, either. The resentment carries on for a LONG time. Trust me. It's broken MY family apart.

Leticia said...

My friend, I feel your pain, having been the oldest and only girl in my family, I think I did more than my share of chores because it was easier to ask me than my 2 younger brothers.
I agree that raising boys to think they should be waited upon is a BIG mistake.
I have mentioned this to mothers of boys; "think of your daughters-in-law, ladies", but I don't have any sons to train myself.

Anonymous said...

My brothers all got divorced at least once. One of the wives told my mother, straight to her face, "Thank you for raising your son to be a lazy @$$ bum...he does NOTHING around the house to help me and I'm sick of it!" My brothers had the audacity to act surprised when their wives asked for a divorce. One brother remained single - he couldn't find a woman who would take on his lazy good for nothing self. He died of a heart attack, alone. Very sad. Another brother went to Russia to find a new bride, and "bought" a "slave" so to speak. She's very obedient, "Yes, Dear" type woman. He says "THIS is how it's supposed to be!" They still don't have a clue that I'm breaking my back with our mother. One of them came over for Christmas and told me to "stop your bellyaching and do your job...you're a WOMAN - it's YOUR job to do this sort of thing."
Needless to say he left shortly after uttering that idiotic remark.

I'm having health issues of my own but taking care of our mother is breaking my back! Every day it's another endless series of feeding her, changing her adult diaper, lifting her and trying to put her into a wheelchair, and dragging her around to appointments, etc. I had to give up my job and my freedom to move Mom in with me. My brother, on the other hand, don't even seem to notice there's anything going on.

As I said, they'll be right there at the reading of the will, shouting "I want MY fair share of the loot!"

I curse the heavens everyday for making me a slave - er, I mean WOMAN.