Friday, January 12, 2007

Review of "Charlotte's Web"

Charlotte's Web is part of a happy memory of public school for me. I had a lovely teacher for 3rd and 4th grade, Mrs. Spolski, who read it to us, along with many other classics, like Stuart Little, Misty of Chincoteague and the Little House books, and to her I owe my great love of reading. So, when it came out as a movie, I knew I had to go see it.
The new "Charlotte's Web", has all the charm and magic one would hope, and is faithful to the story. I loved that it was set in the early sixties, when it was written, it had just the right touch of innocence.
And, oh, those special effects are so great! The new version seems so real, I almost found Charlotte cuddly, and I am nearly arachnophobic.
Isabella (age 9) and Christina (age 4) and I enjoyed Charlotte's Web tremendously. Christina sat at the edge of her seat much of the time, enjoying the antics of the animals, while Isabella loved the funny crows, who though not in the original story, do provide levity when the story gets emotional.
That, I think was the genius of Charlotte's Web, it's emotional depth, it was an allegory of growing out of innocence, leaving childhood fazes behind, and confronting some of life's difficult moments, like death, and parting.
Treat your family to it, you'll be amazed at the discussions it will bring up on the trip home!

1 comment:

jennifergg said...

We love CHARLOTTE'S WEB too, and we haven't seen the new one because I was afraid it wouldn't be as good as the book, or the first movie...glad to know it is. Thanks for sharing this information.