Friday, March 7, 2008

Nearer my God to Thee

A dear friend and fellow blogger, Dennis, who blogged at In God's Image on Long Island
died yesterday.
I am saddened by this loss to the Catholic community, but know, more than anyone I knew, how Dennis was constantly aware of our eternal destiny. We last spoke as we stood together in the freezing rain in front of Planned Parenthood on the last day of 40 Days for life in October. He was so pleased to serve the unborn, it was his first clinic vigil. He was one of the founders of Defenders of the Faith, a Long Island group which was formed to counter Voice of the Faithful. He defended Holy Mother Church in all he did, and will be sorely missed.
I am consoled that he attended the Latin High Mass my daughter sang at last Sunday. I could see the peace and joy it brought him as he prayed. It was the last time I'll see him this side of eternity. Goodbye my friend. See you in Heaven.
Here is a prayer written by a mutual friend of ours.

“O God of grace and glory, we remember before you this day our brother Dennis.
We thank you for giving him to us, his family and friends,
to know and to love as a companion on our earthly pilgrimage.
In your boundless compassion, console us who mourn.
Give us faith to see in death the gate of eternal life,
so that in quiet confidence we may continue our course on earth,
until, by your call, we are reunited with those who have gone before;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Most merciful God, whose wisdom is beyond our understanding,
deal graciously with Nancy and the family in their grief.
Surround them with your love, that they may not be overwhelmed by their loss,
but have confidence in your goodness, and strength to meet the days to come;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.”
Eternal rest grant to him, O Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed, by the mercy of God,
rest in peace.
Amen

3 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Leticia, how very sad. May he rest in peace. I will remember to pray for Dennis' soul during adoration tonight.

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

I'm sorry to hear of your friend. May God bless you and hold you close during this time of grief.

Thought and Action said...

He is in our prayers. I will pray for him later today when I am at Holy Mass.