Sunday, February 22, 2009

An early spring?

The other day, when it was a glorious 65 degrees and sunny, when we pale, weak things who have been suffering from the cold of a lifetime, crawled out to the front porch to feel the sun, we were rewarded with an extraordinary sight. Not one but three robin redbreasts!
And it's not even St Valentine's Day!
The big chunks of ice are melting in the driveway, and the ground is visible everwhere, so I'll be looking to see if my daffodils survived the hasty transplanting they received when we arrived last fall.
This may be premature, but I'm hungry for spring. We've had the snowiest winter in 20 years, and though I love snow, I love spring best of all.

Feb 22 UPDATE: Francisco made this video of the stream down the hill from our home. This is the first time I've seen the water flowing since New Year's and I realize how much I missed it's song. Sorry, you'll just have to imagine the sound!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Me too! Even though my allergies are at their worst in spring, I have to be outside as much as possible then. Everybody's been sick this winter too - I think the whole northeast is hunkering after spring.

Mary said...

It has been a hard winter in the midwest as well. I saw a robin fly over our church this morning. Surely that is a sign of spring!

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I'm just a teensy bit jeolous you have this on your property!

Leticia said...

Well, the stream can be heard from my property but it's accross the street in my neighbor's yard. Good thing, or my dogs would come in the house with wet feet, those water loving Labs!