Sunday, December 2, 2007

Advent begins

We began the season of Advent early this morning fighting a snowstorm to get to Latin Mass where Gabbi was to sing in the schola. We were diverted as the highway was shut down, and attended the Novus Ordo instead. The homily, by the deacon, about the true meaning of Christmas, was inspired and so were the lovely Advent hymns, "O Come Divine Messiah", "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel", and "People Look East".
Gabbi, Christy and I baked Christmas cookies at my parent's home, and showed them our Jesse Tree ornaments. I was inspired by an article in "Faith and Family" magazine, "A Jesse Tree for the Rest of Us", and have organized a Jesse Tree ornament swap among my friends here on Long Island, as well as an Advent workshop where we will learn some other wonderful customs to keep Christ in Advent, and teach our children to prepare the way of the Lord in this most beautiful season.
If you are looking for ways to help "Keep Christ in Christmas", go to my Christmas blog for ideas such as buying this nativity scene from the Knights of Columbus.

My friend Elizabeth has a lovely post here about her Jesse tree.

No comments: