Sunday, June 6, 2010

New England Catholic Homeschool Conference

Kristin Bothur my author friend over at 11 on my own has a post on our wonderful day at the conference meeting our favorite authors, Danielle Bean and Susie Lloyd. 
What Kristin is too modest to mention is that great numbers of conference partipants recognized her from her blog and she sold a lot of books.
I was certainly in good company, between great Catholic authors Danielle Bean, Susie Lloyd and Kristin Bothur. I hope to joing their ranks shortly when "A Special Mother is Born" is published this fall.
We were flanked by our dear friends the Friars of the Immaculate from Griswold, CT, and the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Still River, MA. We enjoyed many edifying conversations on the faith and Catholic education, not to mention a delicious Polish lunch.
I was able to visit with my friend Patrice Fagnant McArthur of Spiritual Woman, and meet Margot Davidson of Hillside Publishing, which publishes Mater et Magister magazine. I love her book Lingua Mater, the seventh grade Literarture based writing curriculum. With this book I taught a class of homeschooling girls how to hone their writing skills, and four of them entered and won essay and poetry prizes in the Diocesan Respect Life Essay contest. The next year, the Diocese of Rockville Centre added the category "Homeschooled" to the list of participants. Thank you Hillside Education!
I enjoyed Susie Lloyd's talk on St Francis de Sales, one of my favorite spiritual writers, and Allison Gingras' on home educating children with special needs.
It was a  blessed day of sharing what we love about passing on our faith to our children.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

11onmyown.com said...

You summed it up much better than I did, Leticia! And you made me blush!

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

It was great to see you, albeit briefly! Glad you had a positive experience.