Saturday, December 23, 2006

Nick's Christmas Miracle

I just have to share with you the best Christmas present I got this year! As many of you know, we adopted a little boy, Nicholas, as an infant. What I never shared with you is that we knew he was going to be a "special" needs child... he receives speech, physical, and occupational therapies as he doesn't walk yet, talk or even babble. He will be 20 months old in a few days. I have been signing with him from very early on, but he is unable to imitate anything. He seems to understand "milk", "eat" and "more" (all the important signs! )
I have to add that he is a happy child who loves to laugh and smile....he brings us great joy. Anyway, the OT was here working on feeding issues with Nick. As always, we repeat the sign "more" before giving him more food. For the very first time, he grabbed the therapists hands and moved them back and forth to make the sign!!! He did this more than once and repeated it when we were playing on the floor and he wanted "more" ball!! I just started to cry as this is such a major break through for him!!...the very first after a year of therapy!
At dinner, he grabbed my hands and moved them to sign "more" and I was able to share the joy with my husband. Ahh, how I used to take the little things for granted with my other children. God is so good.
Merry Christmas to all!!!

love,
Maria

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Isn't it great when the first visible communication is made? When we realize that our children really HAVE been paying attention all this time - even though we couldn't tell?

Enjoy the progress and wishing you a Merry Christmas!