Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Old Friends and The Messiah


Two of my favorite Christmas traditions are attending a "Messiah "sing-in, where the audience brings their own scores, and the concert hall provides orchestra, conductor and solosists. It's so much fun to participate with REAL musicians, and I mean in the audience as well!
I only make it about every 10 years, unfortunately, but this year was special. My childhood friend and companion in my London adventure (see A Dickensian Christmas in London post), Helena, surprised me by coming to town, and joining me with her daughter Serena.
We met singing in elementary school too many yearsago to mention, and sang together in a truly wonderful high school choir which toured the country spreading beautiful sacred music. As I neared graduation, I cried knowing what a rare opportunity I had to be able to sing with such a group.
So, on Sunday, we relived old memories and sang our hearts out in the "Hallelujah Chorus". It was glorious!

No comments: