Monday, November 8, 2010

Prenatal diagnosis targets babies with Down syndrome

from EWTN news

The media director of the Spanish Bishops’ Conference, Isidro Catela Marcos, has warned that children with Down syndrome are being targeted for “elimination” through abortion.
Due to a rise in prenatal screening, more parents are choosing to abort their unborn children who are diagnosed with the condition.
Catela Marcos made his comments on the eve of Pope Benedict XVI’s Nov. 6 -7 visit to Spain. During the papal trip the Pontiff will consecrate the Church of the Holy Family and visit a home for disabled children in Barcelona.
Referring to children with Down syndrome, Catela Marcos noted that “we know that the number of these people has declined significantly … because they are eliminated before they are born.”
Pope Benedict, he continued, is committed to “the defense of life, of every life, the lives of all, regardless of a person’s intellectual capacity.

Read the entire story on EWTN news.

The Holy Father called for those with disabilitis to take their rightful place in society.
according to America magazine. The visit was intended to underline his message this morning in the Sagrada Familia, where he defended the life of children as "sacred and inviolable from the moment of conception".
Speaking to the nuns and disabled teenagers, he said it was "indispensable that new technological developments in the field of medicine never be to the detriment of respect for human life and dignity, so that those who suffer physical illnesses or handicaps can always receive that love and attention required to make them feel valued as persons in their concrete needs".
He added that he always remembered in his prayers "those who are dedicated to the helping the suffering, and those who work tirelessly so that the handicapped can take their rightful place in society and not be marginalized because of their limitations".

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Rosa said...

I was prenatally diagnosed and my story is different. I didn't get the pressure from the doctors for termination of the pregnancy. I think it depends ho w strong the moral values are in the family because the doctors won't do anything one don't authorized. I think the moral values in the family needs to be reinforced. I wrote about my prenatal diagnosis. Here is the link where you can read my story. http://asuperbaby.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-prenatal-diagnosis-2008.html

I also wrote about my perfect child:

http://asuperbaby.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-perfect-child.html

Feel free to chair my post with any pro-life person.

Kisses and hugs!

Leticia said...

Rosa Maria I am so happy you did not feel pressured to abort your lovely baby. I said in my interview on "Faith and Culture" that you can get a diagnosis IF you are supported at home and you feel that you could resist pressure from your physician.
Thanks for sharing your experience.